Lessons and Band
- Fundamental Music guarantees that a minimum of 30 lessons will be offered during the school year. Holidays, snow days and teacher illness are built in to the normal schedule. (In 40 years of teaching experience, there has never been a year where this goal has not been reached; in fact, it is most often surpassed).
- Students may supplement with Individual (Private) lessons as needed and will have access to “Extra Help Office Hours” and “Master Class Webinars”
You may choose from:
Online Small Group Classes,
Online Individual (Private) classes
In-person lessons at your school (When permitted and available).
- In person, at school lessons are usually during regular school hours (Some schools have their program after school, visit your schools band page to see lesson times).
- Online Lessons can be scheduled afternoons or early evening Monday – Friday (Saturday mornings may also be available)
- Beginners are grouped by like instruments. Advanced students may be grouped in ensembles of different instruments based on their ability.
- When qualified, students will also receive a band rehearsal either Online or at school (before or after school).
Students will be invited to participate in Online “Talent Showcases” and when conditions allow will present at least two evening concerts each year, as well as an in-school assembly programs, whenever possible.
Our “Basic Tuition” for Small Group lessons is 9 payments of $69.00 per student. Savings are given given for multiple students in a family and for choosing to make one annual payments for the full-year option. These options and more are detailed on the enrollment form as well as in the FAQ window of this site. Please note: Tuition is for lessons and band only – it does not cover the cost of a rental instrument.
If you have questions or need more feedback regarding your student’s progress, please call or e-mail for an appointment with the teacher.
Instruments and Supplies
If you do not own an instrument, Fundamental Music recommends that you rent one from a reputable dealer (usually a local music store). A list of stores in your area is available on this site: Rental / Purchase Info Page Click here. Please use a source that offers quality instruments, as this will have an overall impact on a students ability to perform. If you are not sure, call or e-mail your teacher for advice. (Note; most online sources of instruments are not high quality like the rental sources offered on this site – please seek guidance from your teacher before investing in an instrument that will not serve your child well)
Your child must bring the instrument to school on his/her lesson day and must remember to bring it home the same day. Do not leave the instrument at school• Do not store books or music stand in the instrument case – this may damage the instrument.
For Online students; tuning of string instruments presents a unique problem. Your child may be asked to bring their instrument into school for tuning once per week on designated days. We will also offer webinars on tuning at home.
Instruments should be kept in their cases unless they are being played. Repairs can be costly – we strongly advise that you never leave the instrument unattended on the floor or a chair.
Your child will be taught how to clean the instrument after each use. Most instruments come with some simple care instructions or special swabs or cloths.
Be sure your child has an adequate supply of reeds or oil and a soft cloth in the case.
For sanitary and safety reasons, instruments should never be played by anyone except the student who owns or rents that instrument.
If you have a problem with your instrument, do not try to fix it yourself! Check with your child’s teacher or call your rental dealer as soon as possible.
In addition to the instrument, reeds (clarinets and saxophones) and valve oil (brass players), students will need a foldable wire music stand. These can be purchased at any music store or ordered on sites like Amazon or Musician’s Friend…. For Beginners and 2nd-year players we will use First Songs for Band, all available on this site.